Hey everyone! It's a snow day here, and to keep myself busy I decided to make some baby hats. the only thing different is that I doubled up some medium weight yarn to make bulky yarn! When using bulky yarn, the hats work up much quicker, and also will be quite warmer for the babies. I have pretty much mastered the sizing of baby hats after making so many, but I had to adjust a bit for the bulkier yarn. Here is the pattern for the bulky yarn hats! Keep in mind, I make these to donate, so they are sized for newborns.
Super Easy and Quick Baby Hat Pattern
Things You’ll Need
- K or 6.50 mm hook
- 2 Colors of an aran or worsted weight yarn. I used Caron Simply Soft
- Stitch Markers or Safety Pins
Techniques You Need to Know
- Magic Circle
- Crocheting in the Round
Lets get Started
- Pick two colors of a worsted weight or aran weight yarn of your choice. You will be doubling up the yarn, or crocheting with two strands at a time.
- Either do 6 hdc (Half Double Crochet) in Magic Circle or chain 6 and do 6 hdc in the second chain from the hook.
- Do 2 hdc in each hdc around (12 hdc)
- Do 2 hdc in first stitch, and one hdc in the next stitch. Repeat this across the round (18 hdc)
- Do 2 hdc in first stitch, and one hdc in the next two stitches. Repeat this across the round (24 hdc)
- Do 2 hdc in first stitch, and one hdc in the next three stitches. Repeat this across the round. (30 hdc)
- Hdc across the round, for three rounds (30 hdc)
- Sc (single crochet) across the round (30 sc)
- This part may be a little complicated for new crocheters, but this isn’t necessary. Fpsc (Front post single crochet) in first stitch, and then sc in next stitch. Repeat across the round. this creates a ribbed effect. To put it simply, you are just crocheting a sc in the “body” of the stitch rather than the two loops above it. Here is a tutorial http://crochetparfait.blogspot.com/p/fpsc-front-post-single-crochet.html
I decided to test out the hats on Rosie, my model.
Thank you so much for reading and trying my pattern. If you have any issues be sure to ask me any questions on here or email me at Streakshadow13@gmail.com. Please don’t resell or claim this pattern as your own. You may sell items made from it though :). Have a great day and enjoy your hats!